The Church of St James the Great

in the Parish of Morpeth

Benjamin Ferrey, the architect chosen for the project, had been apprentice to Augustus Pugin, architect of the Palace of Westminster, so he was experienced in the design of large public buildings.

Rector Grey had already chosen the style for St.James's while on honeymoon in Italy. He had been impressed by the Cathedral at Monreale, near Palermo, Sicily, which dates from 1172. It is on this building that the Neo-Norman style of St.James's is based.

Benjamin Ferrey was Diocesan Architect for Bath and Wells. The restored West Front of Wells Cathedral is also his work.

The North Porch and Great West Door of St.James's, showing typical
half-round Norman arches and period style decoration


MorpethNet
[ Information ] [ The Church ] [ The paintings ] [ Conservation ]