One of the three Church buildings that make up the Parish of
Morpeth, St Aidan's is also the youngest building, having been
founded in 1957 as a mission church to the Stobhill estate, on the
south east of the town.
For the past fifty years, it has maintained an active outreach to
the surrounding community, most especially to the pupils of
Stobhillgate School and Collingwood School.
In April 2007, the Church celebrates its Golden Jubilee, with an
exciting programme of events, not least of which will be an
open-air Service on Sunday April 22nd, in the presence of the
Bishop of Newcastle.
|Built of red brick, the
building has a simple, vaulted roof and a pleasing symmetry of
design. Six mature Cupressus Macrocarpa trees, planted at
the time of building, frame the body of the Church and a pleasant
area of grass surrounds the site.
The interior of the building maintains the exterior simplicity of
line and gives a light and airy worship space, compact but
surprisingly spacious and with an excellent acoustic.
Details of the events planned for the Jubilee celebrations will
appear in due course on this site.